I was looking through my own posting in 2008. I have written about why BN lost 2/3rd majority and 5 states. SO now after more than 3 years and PRU13 is looming round the corner have we address all he issues that seems to be the reason for bad performance in PRU 12?
Here are some of my analysis then:
It has been more than a week after the election. The dust has settled . I wish when UMNO do their post mortem they would consider some of this issues that i believed contributed significanly to the swing vote to oppositions:
1. Issue Jambatan Bengkok....
2. Perception of Khairy running the country
3. Altantuya Murder
4. Lingam case
5. Hindraf issue
6. Chua Soi Lek scandal
7. Inability of Pak Lah to push Samy Velu aside
8. Price increase for essential goods
9. Mahathir outspokenness against Pak Lah
10. Inability of police force to solve crime
11. Perception of mega contracts given to cronies
12. WPI as a way to sell land to Singapore
13. MCA infighting and their inability to present chinese grouses
14. UMNO leaders aloftness
15. Internet and blogs are sources of news to the young and educated as much as Utusan Malaysia to orang kampung.
16. THe choices of candidates baffles many including UMNO members themself which inturn vote the opposition
17. There are so much hatred to BN this time around that voting opposition is the only choice to show thei dissapoointment
18. Pouring tons f money during campianing period will not make much different if rakyat feel slighted for the past 4 years.
19. UMNO should read the blogs..the internet news..and variousdiscussions groups in the internet. If they have done that..they would not be supprise on the result.
Now thats a long list. Of course now some of the issues are no longer relevant as Pak Lah are no longer the PM. And so does Sammy Velu.
Protest votes in PRU12 were significant, from UMNO voters themselves.
Some are perennial issues in UMNO itself. Choice of candidates for example. MCA factor is still the same... not relevant at all to voters.
The only thing that have seen an improvement would probably be the way UMNO embrace the new media.
But will that be enough to manage the perceptions?
There will be less protest vote from UMNO members this time around.
THe chances are bright for BN to get back the 2/3rd majority come PRU13, and win back atleast all opposition states except Kelantan and Penang.
What do you think folks?